This is the Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken (Ga Xao Sa ) ingredients that I prepared for my reunion dinner 2012.
There are many different version of the dish.
Some don't add in onion.
Some have no curry powder.
But I have decided to learn from Rasamalaysia's Version.
Ingredients of Vietnamese lemongrass paste:
Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken:
6 stalks of lemongrass ( even use the upper part of lemongrass to make thicker paste as its upper part still has the aroma of lemongrass)
1 clove of garlic
4 medium size onions
20-25 pieces dried chilli
50 ml water
1 tbsp curry powder( * not too much of curry powder or it will become chicken curry paste)
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
* no salt is needed as fish sauce is salty enough
2 extra stalks of lemongrass cut into the length of 4 cm.
1. Marinate chicken with fish sauce + 1 tbsp sugar - 2 hours before cooking.
2. Grind all the ingredients. Fried the ingredients until fragrant.
3. + 1 tbsp curry powder.
4. Fried chicken + 5 tbsp of Vietnamese lemongrass paste + 2 extra lemongrass ( 4 cm )
5. + 50 ml water to simmer until the chicken is tender for about 15 mins.
6. Garnish the lemongrass chicken with basil while serving.